Sorry I missed last weeks New Comics Day, but I’m back to let you know which of the new comics coming out today are worth your 2.99, or 3.99, or 4.99, or…..
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Chris Burnham
• BATMAN and TALIA AL GHUL continue their fight for control of their son DAMIAN – better known as ROBIN!
• WINGMAN and REDBIRD descent upon GOTHAM CITY! Who are these heroes, and what is their relationship to THE DARK KNIGHT?
The Batman Incorporated train keeps a rollin’ along and Morrison’s opus is drawing closer and closer to its epic conclusion as he will be leaving the title early next year. It’s not too late to hop on board and take the ride.
9. Talon #1 – DC Comics
Written by: Scott Snyder & James T Tynion IV
Drawn by: Guillem March
• A new series spinning out of “Night of the Owls”!
• After many years on the run, Calvin Rose returns to Gotham City to investigate the fallout from “Night of the Owls”!
• Can the Court of Owls finally be defeated? Could Calvin have the one thing he’s been seeking his entire life: his freedom?
Spinning out of Snyder’s epic “Night of the Owls” Batman event, Talon looks to carry on the epicness. I suspect that Snyder won’t be doing much of the writing here, with his “Death in the Family” Joker story just starting, plus I heard he is taking on a new Superman comic with artist Jim Lee – sounds great. So yeah, Look for the story here to be coming mostly from Tynion IV’s mouth.
Written by: Jeff Lemire
Drawn by: Mikel Janin
• House of Mystery vs. House of Secrets!
• The team is so badly defeated that even Constantine is out of tricks. Uh-oh…
• To be concluded in this month’s JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK ANNUAL #1.
Lemire is still doing an outstanding job on this title bringing DC’s mystical heroes to life and making us care about them – even a bastard like John Constantine. I gotta say though, this is first JLD cover that has sucked balls. Horrible cover.
Written by: Greg Rucka
Drawn by: Carmine Di Giandomenico
• The Punisher vs. The Avengers.
• Welcome to the War Zone.
The Punisher is always hit and miss with me – It’s a hit when a great writer is writing the character and a miss when it’s a shitty writer. Needless to say Greg Rucka is far from a shitty writer so I’m picking this one up. Hope it rocks.
Written by: Jason Starr
Drawn by: Roland Boschi
• ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES!
• Your favorite X-Man done the way you wanted to see him – in a no-holds-barred MAX series!
• Written by award-winning crime novelist Jason Starr (PUNISHER MAX, The Chill)
• In modern-day Tokyo, Logan gets pulled into a terrorist’s plot…or was he the target all along?
• A new look at Wolverine’s past!
The Max Line of Marvel Comics lets writers tell more adult tales then the mainstream Marvel Universe. It also lets them take popular characters like Wolverine and create a brand new universe. No longer tied to years continuity, Max heroes are free to travel brand new roads and do what they want. Pretty awesome to read. Plus, there’s normally like lots of boobies too.
Written by: Sam Humphries
Drawn by: Luke Ross
• UNITED WE STAND CONTINUES!!!
• Captain America, Thor and Iron Man battle the forces ripping America apart!
• Ultimate Hydra vs. Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D.
• Revealed! The secret weapon that could tip the balance…forever!
This title is starting to lose me. Too many issues in too little time. And new writer Humphries isn’t quite capturing the feel of massiveness that Hickman did. This one could be on the chopping block soon if things don’t take a turn for the better.
Written by: Joshua Hale Fialkov
Drawn by: Andrea Sorrentino
• The world’s worst nightmare has come true: Andrew Bennett, the only good vampire, has gone very, very bad!
• It’s up to the woman who loves him to put him down…but Mary, Queen of Blood, is now a mere human!
Another shitty cover. What’s up DC? This is no excuse for this throwaway cover. Good thing the inside art is normally pretty fucking awesome.
Written by: Skottie Young
Drawn by: Gurihiru
It’s the tie-in to end all tie-ins coming at you from the creative team of writer Skottie Young and Gurihiru. The Phoenix is coming…and bringing the babies with it in an all-out war!
Find out whom amongst the teams will live, who will die, and who will succumb to diaper rash.
The X-Babies have been since the early 80’s and have always been a blast to read. I love this parody of the recent Avengers VS. X-Men and it looks to be a great read.
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Scot Eaton
Okay, I’m officially over Avengers VS. X-Men. Next please!
Written by: Todd McFarlane
Drawn By: Szymon Kudranski
“ORIGIN OF THE SPECIES,” Part Five
The epic story arc celebrating SPAWN’s 20th Anniversary continues! TODD McFARLANE and rising star SZYMON KUDRANSKI bring you the next chapter in the origin of Jim Downing!! Features a classic comic book cover re-imagined by TODD MCFARLANE!
Was Jim Downing a mastermind or a victim in his previous life? As a brutal interrogation intensifies, the answers Jim seeks, and the realities of the man he was, may exist somewhere in between good and evil. To complicate matters further, the final details he needs to put an ultimate end to “The Program” rest in the hands of a man whose actions helped shape the very foundation of the SPAWN universe…Jason Wynn.
I haven’t collected Spawn since 1992! (I think I got up to issue 23 before I dropped it) But this cover, a homage to Frank Millers classic cover to Batman: Dark Knight Triumphant is just too awesome not to post!